Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Today I got to work and found someone had stolen my chair.

I ended up having to pull a chair out of one of the conference rooms and I couldn't get the settings right. The back was set at this real awkward angle driving my shoulders forward while my butt was a good foot behind it.

It felt like some medieval torture device.

When I got back to my desk, Tom asked where I was. I told him the situation, and he said people in Pennsylvania aren't looking for their chairs.

What he meant was people would be calling in whether I had a chair or not. The managers use that phrasing a lot here:

"There wasn't a blizzard in California."

"New York didn't miss the shuttle at the remote lot"

"You think Missouri's grandmother had a stroke today?"

Normally it works, but Tom's statement only conjured up an image of the entire state of Pennsylvania wandering around some cube farm in search of seating.

I told Tom I'd stand next time. He didn't seem to understand I was offering a snappy answer.

The phones were real busy today, and Sue kept yelling at people from the Watchtower. At one point she called me as I was getting back on the phone to ask why I wasn't on a call.

Our call center is evaluated on 'service level', or the number of calls we answer within a certain time frame. In our case, we're supposed to enter 92.5% of all calls in 30 seconds or less.

I'm not sure what having a 92.5% chance of not having to wait longer than 30 seconds means to me if my call is answered by someone like Fitzy, who just today told a caller there are only 3 quarters in a fiscal year.

He said it was kind of like a hockey game.

Gerald and Matt "fixed" a No Parking sign right outside our building over the weekend so it can be removed from the ground. The no parking zone takes up about a car length from the sign to the corner of our street, so Gerald's been taking the sign out to park there and putting it back in when he leaves.

He also said he has a plan to get us out of parking at the remote lot. I really feel like I've hitched my reputation to a winning team.

No comments: