Thursday, January 25, 2007

Tonight we all went out for drinks after work and some guy punched Gerald in the mouth. I guess Gerald was talking to his girlfriend and started spouting off when the guy stepped in.

I didn't hear much of what Gerald said, but I believe it was the phrase "Take it easy, beefcake" that set the guy off.

As it was happening, everyone was looking at Reynaldo to step in. He just stood there and watched like the rest of us. Afterwards, when Gerald told him he could have used his help, Reynaldo said the first rule his sensei taught him was restraint, and it wouldn't have been right for him to use force seeing as the situation was defused.

That guy defused it all over Gerald's face.

Angela wasn't at work today. Paige said she was sick, but everyone thinks the pressure's getting to her.

I'm not sure what pressure she's been under, but given the work we've had to do thus far, there isn't a scenario where I could see myself being too ill to do my job that doesn't involve a trip to the third world.

We had to take messages again today, and I ended up getting a guy who must have spoken with Gerald yesterday. He said I told him we'd be overnighting a check to him last night, and he never received it.

I tried to explain to him that I didn't know anything about the check, and he might be confusing me with someone else. Then he told me he wrote down the name of the person he spoke with.

When I told him there was more than one Gerald at the company, he asked how many there were.I said that as far as I knew there were two, and his response was, "You mean there could be more?"

He sounded truly alarmed by this.

He ended up asking for a manager, and Fitzy took the call pretending to be one.

Gerald did something with his phone so it wouldn't receive calls. When Paige stopped by to see why things were so quiet, he said his phone hadn't been ringing and assumed it wasn't that busy.

She asked someone to look at his phone and said she'd take him to the "order desk". It sounded exciting, but later Gerald told me it was pretty much a big cube where they boxed up the trade sheets to be shipped to another building where they were scanned into the system

He said a couple of the boxes had fallen down and spilled all over the floor, and he had to reorder the sheets by date. I bet he would have traded that for another day of giving out fake answers to irate callers.

When we were walking out of the bar, Gerald invited me out tomorrow night. He said he and Matt were going to cook a spiral ham and go bowling.

I thought I'd sit that one out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

glad fitzy was there to deflect that guy. fake managers for angry calls are the best guys at the company.