Tuesday, January 16, 2007

This morning I got lost trying to find the remote lot.

They gave me a "map" to find the place. On it, the lot was across from two rectangles - one representing a donut shop, and the other a car dealership.

When I got to the lot, there was a line of people waiting for the shuttle to the office. Two women from my class were standing their with their arms about to break under the weight of their training manuals.

I waited at the end of the line and listened to the woman next to me talk to someone about her nephew who just got his girlfriend pregnant and can't hold down a job to save his life.

She was into about the fifth job her nephew lost - he was stealing from a Hardee's he worked at - when a longish van pulled up. I was the last one in the van and had to sit shotgun next to the driver.

The driver pulled off and said he was glad it had been warm this winter. I agreed, and then he started telling me about the "big ones" this woman he had just dropped off at the last trip had. He went on about it - talking about the shirt she was wearing and such. I could tell some people in the van were getting uncomfortable, as everyone had stopped talking.

Then he started talking about how he couldn't wait for summer and said, "Know what I mean?"

I was kind of pressed for something to say, as I didn't want to look like I was taking part in the whole thing, but I didn't want him to think I was gay either. Why I was concerned with that, I don't know.

I settled on "I guess so" and then he started talking about how someone whacked up his car while it was parked outside his house and didn't even leave a note.

At lunch I noticed the woman who's nephew got his girlfriend pregnant and can't hold down a job was sitting with another woman few tables away. The woman she was speaking with turned around to look at me a couple of times.

As I was going to throw out my trash, she got up and walked past me, glaring the whole time. She looked about forty and had the biggest boobs I've ever seen in my life.

I guess she's the woman the shuttle driver was talking about.

Not much else happened today. Paige said our desks still weren't ready and asked if we could take our binders home again today. I'm already getting sick of lugging this crap around.

No comments: