Sunday, January 28, 2007

On Friday we had our final training sessions and then took some calls at the end of the day. Paige said she'd put us on the "overflow queue" so we'd only take calls if there were people being put on hold, and she'd be monitoring so she could help us out if it sounded like we were getting stuck.

I ended up getting put on the line for people looking for assistance in Spanish by mistake and had to field calls in a language I don't speak a word of.

I told Paige after the first few, and she ended up giving me this script in Spanish and told me to read it, put them on hold, and transfer them when a Spanish speaking rep was available. I remember the script began with the phrase "Bienvenidos el programma de retiros..."

I kept looking over the script to see if I could find the Spanish word for "updating".

After about an hour, Paige brought Reynaldo over. Apparently, he speaks Spanish and we were going to trade phones.

I only took one call after that. It was from a guy who wanted his account balance and spent the next 45 minutes talking about the town he lived in. I guess Garth Brooks grew up there and hadn't done a "damn thing" for the town since he left.

Before we left for the day, Paige said to plan on working some overtime next week. I guess their call volume was still very high, and everyone on the floor would be working 9 to 7.

I looked around to watch everyone act not disappointed. Reynaldo looked at Paige as if she was serving pie.

Over the weekend I went to move my stuff into the new place. Gerald said Ryan, the guy who was moving out, was still there, but he said it would be OK for me to drop my stuff off.

When I got to the apartment, it was just Ryan and his girlfriend there. His girlfriend was sitting on the couch and it looked as if she had been crying.

Ryan walked with me into the room and told me that he had just told her they were breaking up, but it was still OK for me to bring my stuff in if I wanted. I guess he was moving to Phoenix to work as a greenskeeper on a golf course and had just gotten around to telling her now.

I really didn't want to be there, but I had already rented a van and packed up all my stuff.

Every time I walked in the front door, the place would get really quiet and I'd see Ryan and his girlfriend staring at me as I walked past the entrance to the living room. Then I'd hear whispering as I walked through the bathroom to my room, followed by silence as I walked by them again to get more stuff.

I ended up trying to make as much noise as I could walking out of the bathroom so they'd know when to stop talking.

There was this huge puddle on the bathroom floor and I kept tracking water all over the place. It looked as if someone had showered with the shower curtain open.

When I got my mattress up there, I realized I was going to need someone to help me lift it through the bathroom so it wouldn't absorb the water and get all mildewy. I was standing there trying to think about how to pose the question to Ryan when I heard him ask if I needed any help.

I think they were getting tired of waiting for me to leave so they could resume breaking up.

I walked in and explained the situation. He was really cool about helping me out, but his girlfriend sat glowering as the whole exchange took place.

I felt kind of bad, but probably would have felt worse sleeping on a moldy mattress.

No comments: